Are you shooting yourself in the foot when it comes to heating your home? It is definitely possible, most likely probable. Why? Because there are a few things we all do that does not help us AT ALL when it comes to keeping our homes warm and cozy. Luckily, making a few simple changes to how you do things around your home can help you have a warmer home and spend a little less money too. That is a huge bonus with that big spending holiday fast approaching.
Where we go wrong:
- Turning it UP – While it is tempting to crank up your thermostat on a particularly chilly day, it doesn’t actually heat your home any faster. Most furnaces heat at a consistent rate regardless of how high you push up your thermostat.
- Closing Vents – I have a grandmother that still does this, despite my best efforts to persuade her that this is not actually saving her money, she thinks it is. The front of her home is perfectly warm, her back bedrooms, however, are ice cold. She remedies that at night by sleeping under an electric blanket. This is not the way to go – DO NOT do this. Open your doors and vents and let the air in your home circulate the way it needs to.
- Change your filters – This is low on the to-do list, I know, but the dirtier your filter is the harder your furnace has to work to heat your home – this will cost you more money than the price of the filter, plus, you are breathing dirty air.
- Turn off your exhaust fans – Exhaust fans are great for getting air out of the house that we do not want in our home, but once they have served their purpose turn them off. If you leave them running – say you go to work with your bathroom exhaust still on, then you have pumped warm air outside all day. That really is shooting yourself in the foot!
- Do not ignore a draft – did you walk by a window or door and feel a cool breeze? Do not ignore the problem. Patch it, seal it, replace the window – do whatever you need to do to fix it. Little leaks here and there can cost you up to 30% of your homes energy usage. Seal the breezes! Be sure to check your attics and basements also, make sure they are properly sealed and insulated.
Give Carmine’s a call today at 203-791-8089 to schedule a tune-up for your furnace.