We are all guilty of being so busy that we neglect small maintenance or preventative measures and only deal with disasters. I believe this is called playing defense and maybe, on occasion, we should play a little offense!
There are many, many things that need to be taken care of on any given day so taking the time to do small, little things doesn’t always seem like a priority. Here are just a few things you can do this weekend that won’t take too much time, may save you a little money, or at the very least, may help you prevent some bigger problems later on.
- Check your toilets for leaks – just put a few drops of food coloring, Kool-Aid, a few tablespoons of coffee, or whatever you have on hand in tank – NOT THE BOWL – the tank. After about 30 minutes, check to see if the water in the BOWL is colored, if it is, the tank is leaking and the stopper and valve seal may need to be replaced.
- Flush ROOTX down your toilet – roots can be a big issue by growing into the joints of pipes, but using RootX you can reduce that growth. Do it right before going to bed because it needs to sit in the pipes over night.
- Fix leaking Faucets – leaking faucets can cost you a lot of money over time, yet many people ignore them. Don’t ignore them another day! Repair them yourself or call a professional, it will save you money in the long run.
- Check your insulation – make sure your attic and pipes are properly insulated. Insulation breaks down over time and needs to be replaced. It is an easy, money saving project, but it may take you a little more time than you expect. Also, check to make sure your windows are properly sealed, this is important to keeping warm air in and cold air out…or vice versa.
- Air-out bathroom & kitchen sink cabinets – this helps prevent mildew problems, as well as, ventilating basements and running dehumidifiers to dry the air. Also, keep your showers and tubs clear of soap-scum so they will dry quicker…this means clean them regularly.
We are throwing out the “if ain’t broke, don’t fix it” philosophy and going with the “it ain’t broke YET and let’s keep it that way” philosophy!
Click here to schedule a Maintenance Tune-Up with Carmines today!