One of the busiest days of the year for an A/C service technician is the very first hot day of the season. That is because most people wait until then to turn on their unit only to discover that it doesn’t work. That’s really a shame, because when it is hot – it is HOT and we all want to cool down as quickly as possible. I would much prefer to add layers upon layers of clothing and snuggle up under a cozy blanket with my heat not working than to be sweltering with no A/C, but that could just be me.
The simple solution is to check on your air conditioner now, before the real heat sets in. There are plenty of things you can do to help make sure your system not only works but also functions efficiently. According to Energy.gov you can lower your air conditioners energy consumption by 5% to 15% just by replacing a dirty filter.
1) Replace (or clean) the filter for your HVAC unit.
2) Set you’re A/C breaker to “off”. If your unit is covered, uncover it and remove all dirt and debris from inside the unit and surrounding areas. Remember your unit cannot function properly if you have piles of junk stored around it.
3) Remove the grill covering the condenser fan and clean the blades. Remember to remove anything blocking airflow to the fan.
4) Set your breaker to the “on” position. Check to see if it stays on – if it breaks before the unit is turned on, you may have a short in your electrical system. This means, it is time to call in the professionals, a professional electrician.
5) Adjust your thermostat to “cool” and turn down the temperature. Check to see that you’re A/C unit is running and that the furnace fan is working.
6) Lastly, check your refrigerant lines on your outdoor unit for frost. If you notice that your lines are freezing up contact a qualified technician to make repairs as soon as possible.
At Carmine’s we know the value of keeping units cleaned and working properly, call us today 203-791-8089 to schedule a tune-up or make repairs to your unit before the heat sets in.