It’s vacation time and I don’t know about you, but I need one. Not the kind where you load all the little kids up and the dogs and the grandparents and all the tons and tons of gear and move your little family circus from one location to another. No way. I am not talking about that kind. I am talking about the ultra luxurious kind where you sit and sun and sip cocktails and let all your worries drift away and you don’t fix a single meal for yourself or anyone else. That is the kind of vacation I am looking for, not the kind I may have, but still the kind I am dreaming of.
So, when you leave on your vacation (for whatever kind it will be) make sure you leave your home in vacation mode. Here are some tips to help you come back to happy home:
- Clean out your fridge: I know you don’t want to be wasteful, but go ahead and get rid of leftovers and other food and sauces in your refrigerator that will go bad or expire while you are gone. Wipe all the sticky stuff that has gathered here and there in the corners and you should be good. Who doesn’t want to come home to clean fridge that doesn’t have anything smelling bad in it?
- Prep your plants and landscape: If you have an automated sprinkler system outside make sure you have it set properly to come on in the evening and if you haven’t used it in awhile give it a test run for a few nights to make sure it will shut off when you expect it to. If you have indoor plants that need attention have someone you trust come by and water them.
- Set your thermostat: Adjust your thermostat to so it won’t keep your home unnecessarily cool while you are gone.
- Do little things for better security – hold your mail and newspapers so they don’t pile up letting strangers know that your home is unoccupied and set different lamps on timers so they come on and off in different rooms in the evening.
- Pick up the clutter and wash your sheets – there is nothing better than returning to a clean home once you have been away so you do the extra work now to have it picked up, cleaned and smelling fresh when you walk in the door. Go ahead and make sure you have breakfast food for the next day so you don’t have to rush to the store the minute you return home.
Happy vacations everyone!! Carmine’s is here to meet all of your heating, plumbing and air conditioning needs. Don’t go on vacation with leaky plumbing problems either! Give us a call at 203-791-8089 to schedule an appointment.