Clogged drains are a hassle for both the homeowner and the plumber. The more stubborn the clog the higher the bill will be so the best thing to do is to try to prevent them all together. Yes, indeed, prevention is the key to so many household problems…
The most common cause of clogged drains is neglect and by that, I mean letting things wash down your drains that you shouldn’t and that goes for both kitchen sinks and bathrooms. Problems in the kitchen arise from failing to use a drain strainer to prevent food from washing through the pipes or from pouring grease down the drain and it accumulating in drainpipes. Problems in the bathroom come from hair, hair gel, toothpaste, dental floss and other items that can cause problems in drains over time due to build-up in the pipes. We all know the other bathroom trouble spot – toilets…and per last week we know not to flush anything but our body waste and toilet paper.
How to prevent a clogged drain…
- Use a strainer in all bathroom drains to prevent hair from entering the drain.
- Don’t brush or style your hair over sinks.
- Pour a pot of boiling water down each drain once a month
- DO NOT pour a pot of boiling water down your toilet or bidet – it will cause it to crack or break
- Never pour paint or paint thinner down your drains or any other types of chemicals.
- Clean your sink stoppers regularly.
- When you use your garbage disposal, make sure you run lots of cold water afterwards to ensure no food particles get stuck to the side of the pipe.
- Never pour coffee grounds or grease down your kitchen sink. For grease, just pour it into a can and put it in the trash.
Hopefully this will help you have less clogged drains in your home, but if you find yourself in need of a good plumber call Carmine’s today at 203-791-8089.