Could you be in danger of Carbon Monoxide poisoning? According the CDC, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 20,000 Americans go to the Emergency Room each year for Carbon Monoxide, or CO, poisoning with 4,000 needing to be hospitalized and 400 people actually dying from it.
Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that can cause sudden illness or death for both people and animals by simply breathing it. Our red blood cells actually pick up CO quicker than they pick up oxygen. So, if carbon monoxide is in the air, our body will replace the oxygen in our blood with CO causing tissue damage and possibly death.
Carbon Monoxide poisoning is hard to detect because the symptoms (which include, nausea, vomiting, headache, dizziness, chest pain, weakness and confusion) are similar to symptoms of so many other things. People who are sleeping can die from CO poisoning without ever experiencing a single symptom.
In order to protect yourself and your family, the CDC recommends having your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances you may have serviced by a qualified technician every year. They also recommend installing a CO detector and only purchasing gas equipment that has the seal of a national testing agency on the product.
If you don’t want to walk around like Mr. Fashion here, get your heating system inspected and carbon monoxide detector installed today! Give Carmine’s a call at 203-791-8089 and we’ll fix you right up, so you can be fashionable in your own home again.