Veterans Day is this Friday, November 10th, and it is a time to mindful and thankful for all the military personnel that sacrifice for our nation. In a time when it seems there is always much-ado about something, or nothing, or a continuous state of offense swirling around, Friday, November 10th seems like a really good day to let it go and do some good.
How to Thank a Veteran
- Fly a Flag (the appropriate way) in acknowledgement of Veterans. It may seem like a small or insignificant thing to do, and while true, it is not terribly taxing on you, it is a great way to acknowledge their service and we all like to be acknowledged every now and then.
- Visit a Veterans’ Hospital or Community Center – What better way to honor someone than to sit patiently and listen to them? It can be hard to listen to the stories of others, especially in today’s world of go-go-go, but what a wonderful gift to be given to reminisce with someone who is truly interested in hearing you.
- Attend the Event – If there is a Veterans/ Day parade or gathering in your area, make a point to attend it. Your show of support for their service will mean more to them than anything else.
- Donate to a Veterans’ Fund – If you are not able to give your time, maybe you are able to give a monetary gift to a Veterans’ Fund. There are many to choose from and they do everything from helping disabled and wounded veterans to mailing letters to active members overseas. There is even a Veterans Fund to help military working dogs.
- Write a letter – You don’t have to donate to a Veterans’ Fund to send a letter. You can write a few yourself and take them to a military base near you or even send e-postcards thanking them for service.
If you have a veteran in your friends and family circle, make sure you tell them thank you and maybe even spring for their lunch. In the meantime, we’re always hiring Veterans, so give Carmine’s a call at 203-791-8089 or fill out the Join Our Team form on our website. Thank you, Veterans!