The threat of carbon monoxide poisoning ramps up in the winter months. The bitter cold and extra snowfall aids in this threat. Of course, we want to stay warm with our fireplaces and furnaces so we run them at will while we watch the snow fall; hunkered down in our homes waiting out the cold. While snow is visually beautiful getting a large amount in a short time can also be deadly.
Furnace vents, intake valves and chimneys that are blocked with snow can cause major problems, including poisoning your family. It is so important to make sure all of these are clear of snow and that your home is equipped with a carbon monoxide detector (with brand new batteries, of course). There is never a guarantee that you are 100% safe, so while you should always do your best to protect your home and family, you should also know the signs in case carbon monoxide seeps into your home despite your best efforts.
Some telltale signs of Carbon Monoxide poisoning:
- Dull headache
- Blurry vision
- Shortness of Breath
- Feeling weak
- Losing consciousness
If any member of your family begins feeling this way open doors and windows, get out of the house and call 9-1-1 immediately. For a check of the HVAC and ventilation in your home call Carmine’s at 203-791-8089.