If Thanksgiving wasn’t at your house this year, chances are some type of celebration will be during the month of December and we are here to help you get your home ready inside and out. There is a lot to be done this month and much of it is cleaning, shopping, cooking, socializing and remembering the reasons your life is good even if it’s not perfect or just the way you hoped it would be.
Whether you like some simple white lights, no lights at all or you light your home up like the Griswolds one thing is for certain, with it being cold all the time and dark so early now outside lighting is a must. Our house is a mixture of personalities, around the front door is a pretty classic look – all white lights and garland, but our front yard has colored lights running up and down every single tree. It’s called marriage…and compromise.
- Check all your lights and make certain your walkways and the front of your home are properly lit. You also need to make sure you clear out all of the leaves and debris from your yard and your gutters.
- Clean every nook and cranny. Yep, it’s a real pain but dirt and dust and animal hair (if you have inside animals) really adds up in neglected spaces, like under furniture, behind fridges and in small corners. Even wiping down baseboards and door frames with cleaning wipes helps your home feel and smell cleaner. Think people won’t notice if you skip vacuuming under the sofa? Think again, someone will drop something under there for sure and when they pull it out it will be covered in dust – prepare yourself for the judgmental looks.
- DE-CLUTTER – this is a big one. If you just stick piles of paper in a corner to deal with later and never come back to them you will have a lot to get rid of. Do you have cabinets that are full of stuff, but you never actually open them and use anything? That’s probably a sign that you don’t really need the stuff that is in there. De-cluttering your home can be tough, but it is absolutely necessary and having people over is a good motivator to get things out.
- Got a nosey relative? Throw out everything you don’t want them to read. I have a grandmother that will pick up a utility bill read it out and then loudly comment about the ways you chose to spend your money.
- Make sure you take care of leaky faucets and toilets that are slow to flush properly. We were at a party recently where the homeowners had to lock a bathroom down because they had continuously not dealt with a toilet issue and when a large number of people tried to use it over short amount of time, there was trouble. The last thing you want to do when there are more people than usual in your home is take away the use of a bathroom. That means they will have to use the master… remember those nosey relatives?
- Change your air filter and make sure your furnace is working properly. You don’t want everyone standing around freezing to death in stinky house. That will make some memories, but probably not the ones you were going for.
Give Carmine’s a call today at 203-791-8089 and we will help you get your home ready for guest or close inspections by friends and relatives…it’s really however you chose to look at it.