If you are not already busy this week decorating your home with ghost and goblins, scary spiders and spooky cats and of course pumpkins galore then you may want to take a little time to prep the outside of your home for the coming winter.
Some of these things are easy fixes for do-it-yourselfers, but if you do not really know what you are doing definitely call a professional.
- Walk around your home and check for cracks where the masonry ends and siding begins. If you see any holes or gaps they need to be patched. Water can get in and if it freezes it could not only damage the masonry, but also your foundation.
- Look for gaps and cracks around windows and door frames and also entry and exit points for wires. All of these little cracks will add to your utility bill this winter when your warm air is escaping and cold air is entering.
- Turn off outside water valves and empty water hoses. This will keep them from freezing.
- If you have and use storm windows and screens go ahead and install them now.
- From the ground, give your roof a once over. If you notice any shingles that are out of place or that have buckled, call a professional before the problem escalates.
Hanging ghost and goblins is way more fun than any of this stuff, but this is the stuff that will save you money on utility bills and costly repairs down the road. Not to say that you can’t do them another time, but you know how it goes. If we don’t do something when we first think about it then sometimes we do not remember until it is too late and the damage is done.
Now is also the perfect time to schedule your annual furnace inspection. Call Carmine’s today 203-791-8089 and we will make sure everything is working properly for you this Fall and Winter.