March 20th was the first official day of Spring. While I love that Spring is “officially” here I do not, yet, feel very spring-like. I am guessing it will take me another month or two to really get into the swing of Spring and then it will feel like it’s already Summer. While we wait for our bodies and the weather to catch up to what the calendar says there are many things we can do inside and out to prepare our homes for Spring and Summer.
Most of the items on this to-do list you are probably familiar with already, but it never hurts to have a reminder – especially if it saves you money down the road…
- Inspect Caulking around Doors, Windows and any openings to your home – often during cold weather your windows and doors will separate slightly from the frame. This is a quick and inexpensive fix using silicone caulking or sealant and will help keep your home energy efficient this summer.
- Plant a Shade Tree next to your Air Condition Unit – Why? Keeping your unit in the shade (especially during the intense heat of the summer) will help it to run more efficiently.
- Replace your Air Filters – here it is again! How many times have we heard this one? But it doesn’t make it any less true. Blocked air filters prevent your air conditioner from being able to do its job efficiently. Also, allergens are higher in the spring and summer so if this is something your family suffers symptoms from you may want to change them even more frequently.
- Clean your dryer vent – now this is one that would have probably slipped your mind. A clogged dryer vent causes warm air to blow back into your laundry room, slowly raising the temperature of that room and in turn, the temperature of the whole house. Just a quick clean-out can help prevent this from happening.
- Change your ceiling fans direction – this one is not a hard one for me because I rarely remember to put my fans in “winter mode”, but if you do, remember to switch them so that the air is blowing down, giving the room a cooler feel. Ceilings fans do not actually lower the temperature of a room; the breeze just helps to make a warm room feel more comfortable.
If you are having trouble with your plumbing or heating unit or would like to get a jump on servicing your air conditioner please call Carmine’s today at 203-791-8089.