It’s spring and officially time to clean, but is it enough to just dust and vacuum and sort and hide your winter clothes or do you need to be a little more thorough and even have your air ducts cleaned?
Everything can use a good scrubbing every now and then and if you clean like my mother then nothing is clean unless you have scrubbed it with bleach, but lets not run through our homes scrubbing vents with bleach. Although, it might help the smell of some homes to spritz a little down the vents, but that won’t actually clean them. I am pretty sure the little tickle I get in my nose and the stinging in my eyes I feel when I am around something that has been truly hosed down in bleach is NOT a good thing. I haven’t done actual, official research; I am just taking a running leap at a guess that it is not good for my nose and eyes.
The truth is really dirty air ducts are the only ones that need cleaning. If you have OCD and it will make you feel better to have them cleaned once a month, then knock yourself out, but you are not really doing any good or improving your indoor air quality. But, if you have had any of these things going on in the last year or so then you definitely need to have your vents cleaned:
- Renovations – Typically, you want to have your ducts sealed off during any renovations to your home, but if there was a reason why they were not or just nobody got around to it, then you will want to have them cleaned. All kinds of dangerous dust and debris can get lodged inside your ductwork and depending on the age of your home and type of work done, you could have anything from asbestos to lead paint hanging around in there.
- Animals – I am not talking about your dog here… I mean critters…if there is evidence that critters have lived/are living in your ductwork, or use it as a roadway to get around your home, have them cleaned. Well, first have the critter situation taken care of and then have them cleaned. Without delay! And, maybe don’t share the news of your new friends with the neighbors.
- Mold – This one should be obvious and maybe even a reason to get out the good ole bleach – if you spot mold, have it cleaned. The ducts, the HVAC unit, everything – also in the “without delay” time frame.
- Contaminants – this is where your own pets’ hair comes into play. If you can visually see it or other containments or even notice an odor coming your vents, have them cleaned.
- Illness – if you or your family members have been suffering from various allergy related illnesses and you have tried to decontaminate your home in another way, you also need to consider having your vents cleaned – any of the first three reasons mentioned could be causing or at least aggravating an allergy-related illness.
If you reading this and one or more of these apply to you, give Carmine’s a call today to make appointment to have your ductwork cleaned. If there are critters in there, call pest control first, then call us at 203-791-8089.