Choosing the right contractor to replace your air conditioner or HVAC system can be a daunting task. How do you know they will do the job the correct way and not leave you with an unfinished project? We have all heard the stories of contractors accepting payment for equipment, but never returning to complete the job. Or even starting the job and walking off leaving you with a mess, but there are a few simple things you can do to help ensure this does not happen to you.
1) Make sure the contractor you use is licensed. While it may be tempting to use “this guy” you heard about that can do a good job for cheap because he doesn’t have any overhead – it also means you don’t really have any protection if things go wrong and he has no incentive to do the right thing by you.
2) Look them up on the Better Business Bureau’s website. See what their score is, what people have said about them and how they handle issues when they arise. If they are not members of the BBB or have a lot of negative things said about them, you do not need to use them.
3) Ask Around – there is nothing like word of mouth to find out how well or poorly someone was treated and lots of communities now have a page on a social media network that will tell you what kind of experience they had with various companies. In my neighborhood this has become a huge source of information and people will freely tell you who did right by them and who did them wrong.
4) Find out what their warranty or maintenance plan is – make sure you understand everything about it. Some warranties are voided if you do not have your unit serviced on a specific time table. Make sure you understand what is required from you to keep your warranty intact.
5) Get a written contract – any legitimate company is going to give you a contract in writing, you need to make sure you understand everything it says. If you are not sure about something – ask. It is always better to ask upfront and have a full understanding of what you are signing then to come back later and say, “I didn’t know”.
6) Use Carmine’s for all your heating, air conditioning and plumbing needs – we are going to treat you right and do a great job every single time so you do not ever have to worry about how your project is going to end – it is going to end with you being a happy and satisfied customer.
If you are ready to have work done in your home call us today 203-791-8089 and we’ll get the job done right the first time.