It’s August and pretty much regardless of where you live August = HOT. We all love for our homes to feel cool, but dislike a huge bill for keeping them that way. So, even though I have shared these tips before, they are definitely worth repeating before we move into Fall and start enjoying cooler temperatures.
How to Spend Less on Keeping Cool…
- CHANGE YOUR FILTERS. Change them once a month, but definitely don’t let them go longer than 3 months unchanged. Set a reminder in your phone for the first Saturday of every month. That way you will not forget.
- Have some shade cover on your outdoor unit. Plant a tree or arrange to have some shade another way. When your outside unit is cooler, it is easier for it to cool your inside air.
- Use ceilings fans and blinds or other window coverings to help your home feel cooler.
- Have your air ducts cleaned, sealed, and insulated. Over time air ducts lose their efficiency due to build-up and places in the ducts where air is leaking out.
- Don’t use dishwashers, ovens, dryers and lights during the hottest part of the day. I know for the people who leave for work each day this will not be a problem, for people who are home throughout the day this tip will (& should) be ignored.
- Be sure to have your unit serviced each year. The inspection and tune-up will keep your unit clean and alert you to any problems your unit is having. It has all the same benefits as changing the oil in your car, so definitely do this step as well.
If you have not had your unit serviced or are experiencing problems with your unit give Carmine’s a call at 203-791-8089. We are happy to be of service to you.