There are many dreaded words in our vocabulary, for instance lots of people cannot stand the word “moist”, but perhaps the most dreaded of all M-words is… MOLD. While mold does serve a purpose when it’s outdoors, when it is in our home it can be dangerous for our health.
Outside mold helps break down decaying matter and it is truly everywhere. We have all watched enough cop shows to know that particles stick on everything and can be transferred anywhere. Mold is the same and trace amounts of mold probably are in your home and causing you no problems what so ever. If you have substantial mold growth in your home though, you are much more likely to experience health problems.
It can be difficult to diagnosis mold in your home based on symptoms alone because the symptoms are the same as common allergies – coughing, sneezing, nasal congestions, your eyes, and throat and skin being irritated, wheezing and headaches.
If you realize these symptoms are not seasonal, that may be a clue that something other than allergies is going on. For the average healthy person being exposed to mold may not leave any lasting effects, but for people with respiratory issues, immune disorders and young children the effects could be permanent.
Mold has a pretty distinct smell so you may smell the musty, kind of wet dirt odor long before you see it. If you do smell something suspicious contact a professional right away for a mold test, or if you prefer you can get a mold self-testing kit from a hardware store and then call a professional after the results are in.
What to do once you know
If it turns out that you do have a mold problem, it is imperative to have it completed removed right away. If you can see it and are able to reach up to clean it, then do so, wear gloves and a mask and probably some safety glasses and spray diluted bleach on it until you have it completely removed. If you can smell it but not see it there is more cause for concern. It may be growing inside your walls or your ductwork and it is definitely time to abandon DIY mode and call a professional.
If you have an HVAC system that hasn’t run in awhile or is long overdue for some maintenance it has the potential to be harboring mold. Any area that has water where it shouldn’t can grow mold.
Call Carmine’s today 203-791- 8089 to have your HVAC serviced to ensure it does not spread mold throughout your house and protect yourself and family from the hazards of mold.