We are officially in 2015! It is hard to believe another year has flown by and it is time once again to reflect on the past year and assess what changes we need to make to this brand new year. Like always, I need to make a lot of changes. Like always, I bet I start off super strong and then have a major regression around the end of February/first of March. I wish this wasn’t the case. I wish I could stick to my resolutions and make them work for me. Maybe this year will be different. Maybe this year I can maintain my will power and make changes long enough that they become habits. Now that would really be something to celebrate!
I am sure you have some resolutions this year that you have had before. We are humans so I suppose that is just the way it goes. This year, Carmine’s would like to remind you of some useful plumbing habits to help prevent problems in your home:
- Keep your pipes insulated – in order to keep your pipes from freezing and bursting make sure they are well insulated. It is a simple solution that will go a long way in saving you the headache of your plumbing not working and potentially having a flooded home. Also, if it is cold outside make sure you have your heat on low (at least) even if you are not home.
- Check the pipe behind your washing machine – this is probably something you have never done, but think about how often you use your washing machine and how much water is involved in just one load. Take a look at it every week or so and at the first sight of bulging or cracking, replace the pipes immediately.
- Have small leaks repaired – small leaks lead to big problems if ignored so go ahead and have it repaired. I assure you, the problem is not going to go away on its own and it is not going to stay the same forever either. Have small leaks repaired and get into the habit of checking the pipes under your sink every so often to make sure there is not a leak that has gone unnoticed down there.
- Watch what you put down the disposal – this is a no brainer – do not put fats and greases down your disposal. There is a whole list of other things not to put down there as well, but fat and grease will cause a blockage pretty quickly.
- Only flush bodily waste and toilet paper down your toilet – nothing else. Ever.
Carmine’s hopes you started off 2015 with a bang, but if you happened to start it off with some plumbing issues, give us a call at 203-791-8089 and let us fix that for you.