We are often asked by customers what they can do besides changing the air filter to help ensure they don’t have to call us. Well…there are a few things you can do but it doesn’t necessarily mean you will never have any trouble. You change the oil in your car to help ensure you will not have trouble down the road, but it doesn’t mean that your car will never have a problem. Any number of things could go wrong and send you to the repair shop and it is the same for us. An air conditioner is a big piece of equipment with a lot of different parts so any number of things could have you calling us, but to help not need us here is what to do:
1) CHANGE YOUR FILTER – I can already hear you…”but I wanted to know what to do besides changing my filter”…yes, I know – and I know that you know to change your filter, but have you actually done it? On average, I probably think about doing it about 3 different times before I actually do it – you probably do to.
2) Make sure all Vents and Returns are clear from obstructions – this is a biggie and can be particularly difficult to do in older homes or homes where the placement of vents vs. furniture were just not well thought out. Proper airflow is very important to the function of your air conditioner, particularly the return air grills – this is where the air in the room is brought to the a/c. So, make sure vents and returns have the room the need to work.
3) Make sure the equipment pad is level – this is very important for air conditioners and once the area around the a/c settles the pad can become unlevel. If the pad is not level – go ahead and have the professionals help you out with this. Heat pumps need a slight slope.
4) Turn your system off when you are mowing the grass – you don’t want grass clipping or anything else to enter the outdoor coil, so be sure to clear away any vegetation you see in or around your system. Also, don’t let outdoor stuff – tools, scraps of lumber, kids toys, etc. pile up around your system. Keep it clear of clutter.
5) And lastly get a Membership Agreement – your system will have regular tune-ups by us so you know it is done properly and little things can be caught early on before they turn into big things. If there is something wrong you will save 15% on parts and labor for repairs.
Talk to one of our technicians today about our Club Membership Agreement and all the benefits it brings to you. Call Carmine’s at 203-791-8089, we are happy to be service to you!