It is summer so at some point, most of us will pack up and go. Whether you are leaving town for summer vacation 2 days or 2 weeks, the one thing you cannot or should not do is just pack your bags and walk out the door. You need to not only prepare your home for your departure, but you also need to prepare for your arrival. Since packing can be an enormous chore all on its own, it can be hard to remember everything else you need to do before you leave so, Carmine’s is here to help.
Departure To Do List:
- Prepare your pets and plants. Make sure they will be cared for walked, watered, whatever while you are gone.
- Clean out your refrigerator – get rid of anything that will go bad or not be eaten when you get back.
- Get all your laundry done.
- Unplug all electrical devices and lamps that will not be used. It is just wasting energy and money to have things plugged in when no one is around to use them.
- Set some timers for different lamps – this is the one thing that should stay plugged in. Have one or two lamps go on and off throughout night.
- Change the filter in your a/c and alter the thermostat so it is not running the whole time you are away.
- Put your mail and papers on hold – mail building up in your mailbox and papers out in your driveway are sure signs that no one is home. If you don’t want the post office to suspend delivery see if you can get a neighbor to pick it up for you.
- Talk to your neighbors – if there is one or two that you trust completely, let them know you are leaving town and to call the police if they suspect anything suspicious. Also, see if they need or want to park in your driveway some while you are gone.
Arriving To Do List:
Even though this is a separate list it is still to be done before you actually leave town….not once you arrive home.
- Plan a meal or two – no one wants to walk in the door and head straight to the grocery store so have some things on hand so you do not immediately have to go out or order in. Cereal keeps well, as will soup and frozen pizzas. If you think about it a little bit you should be able to find something that appeals to you that won’t ruin before you get back and you will be happy to have it.
- Change the sheets and make your bed – when you are away from home it is very exciting to get back home and sleep in your own bed. Make it even better by having fresh sheets on the bed.
- Leave your house clean and smelling good – take out all the trash, empty the litter box, dust, vacuum and clean the toilets. It is just not good to return home to a foul smelling, dirty house.
Now all that is left to do is to enjoy your trip! Call Carmine’s at 203-791-8089 for all of your air conditioning, heating and plumbing needs.