The real estate market is picking up and if you are one of the many people prepping their homes to put on the market we have some very important tips for you. The housing market is very different now than it was five, ten, twenty years ago. Consumers want to purchase a perfect product no matter what price range they are looking in, which is challenging if not completely impossible.
Tips to help you succeed:
- Clean and Organize – this one is pretty obvious because no one is interested in a dirty home that is stuffed with knick-knacks and personal items, but sometimes it is essential to even remove pieces of furniture. Having oversized furniture may be comfortable to sit in but it may also make your room appear smaller than it actually is. If you don’t absolutely need something in a room – remove it. Just think of it as “pre-packing” for your big move. Never have more than 5 items on kitchen counters and if you have a tiny kitchen just take everything off the counters.
- Fix up what you can – fixing up what you can is extremely important, but you may not have enough money to spruce up everything that needs to be updated. If you can change out dirty carpet – do it! Just make sure no matter what type of flooring you put down – whether it is carpet, tile, vinyl flooring, etc. to keep it neutral. You are not putting this down for you to “love” and want to live with. You are choosing something will appeal to the largest number of potential buyers. Nothing trendy, think plain and neutral.
- Get a Home Inspection – don’t want to be surprised by the long list of things wrong with your home before you make it to the closing table? Go ahead and get a home inspection. Every home inspector is different and may find different things, but if you really want your property ready to sell and do not want any surprises down the road, have it inspected beforehand. If you do choose to get your own home inspection, it should never be used in place of a buyer getting an inspection.
- Freshen up highly trafficked rooms with a new coat of paint – good examples for this are bathrooms and kitchens. Just remember to pick neutral colors. I did tend to pick darker colors when I look at paint swatches, but I have been in a lot of homes and the ones that “show” the best have light colors on the walls.
- Take Quality Photos – whether you have an agent or not, it will be pretty much impossible to sell your home if you do not have photos on the internet. People look at the photos and not what is written about the home so make sure your photos work for you and are clean and clear. Sometimes people will not look at home in person if the photos are blurry because they assume there is something wrong with the home.
Carmine’s wishes you much success in selling your home and if you need our help with leaky faucets, running toilets or rooms that are leaving your potential buyers in the cold, give us a call today at 203-791-8089.