Whether you consider yourself a beginner or a pro DIYer, there are a few things every homeowner needs to know how to do to keep their home in good condition and save a little money while doing it. These range from really easy task to a little more difficult, but all of them just require a little bit of time and focus for the job to get done.
Top 5 DIY Maintenance List:
- Change Air Filters – This falls in the super easy category because all you really need to have is the proper size air filter. It requires no skill at all to change these, but works wonders for your HVAC system.
- Replace Batteries in Fire Detectors – ever had a fire detector start beeping in the middle of the night? There is never a good time for them to start beeping but while everyone is sound asleep is definitely not an appropriate time. Change them every 6 months before the beeping begins.
- Caulking – There comes a point in the life of every toilet, sink and tub when it needs to be caulked again. Don’t delay in making this repair. Watch a couple of tutorials and get it done.
- Paint – nothing breathes life back into a room (or whole house) like a coat of fresh paint. While painting a room is not difficult, it is does take some patience and focus. A freshly painted room in nice neutral color adds value to your home; a room painted in a neon color with drips of paint running down the walls reduces the value of your home.
- Deal with minor plumbing issues – minor plumbing issues like a running toilet or leaky faucet are usually things you can handle on your own, but if you change out a washer and you are still having problems then it is time to call a professional.
Every homeowner has a different skill level when it comes to what they are comfortable tackling. Some homeowners will replace insulation and tile in a bathroom in a weekend without even thinking about it and others will have trouble just pressure washing their driveway. Whatever your skill level is, work to keep your home from falling into disrepair and call the professionals when its time.
Carmine’s is here to service all of your heating, air conditioning and plumbing needs. Just call 203-791-8089 to schedule an appointment today.