Spring Break is quickly approaching for many families and while it is a time to enjoy some warmer weather with your family and a break from work and school it can also be a time to save a little money while you are away. Let’s face it, you need to save a little money on your utilities when you can because I don’t think these high gas prices are going anywhere!
Before you leave make sure to:
- TURN OFF YOUR LIGHTS – Do a quick walk-through of your home and make sure all your lights are off including bathrooms and closets. Many people feel safer leaving a few lights on when they are away, especially if pets are staying in the home. If this is the case, invest in a couple of timers and have lights come on and go off in different rooms throughout the night and be off completely during the day.
- UNPLUG ELECTRONICS – If you have radios, humidifiers, stereos, computers, chargers, whatever – anything that has a little light on it is using electricity. If you do not need these items on when you are away, including tv’s, just unplug them. I think I may go around unplugging things right now that I am not using!
- TURN YOUR WATER HEATER DOWN – There is just no reason to heat good water when no one will be around to use it. Turn it down as low as it will go, but don’t forget to turn it back up as soon as you get home because it will take a few hours to heat back up. That would be quite a chilly shock the next morning so maybe leave yourself a note to turn it back on.
- TURN YOUR THERMOSTAT DOWN – Turn it down at least 10 degrees while you are away as long as it will not affect any pets that are staying in the home.
- CLOSE YOUR BLINDS AND CURTAINS – This helps to keep your home insulated and also prevents anyone from looking in.
Enjoy your Spring Break and your savings, and as always call Carmine’s 203-791-8089 for all your heating, air conditioning, and plumbing needs.
Oh! And once you have everyone in the car (so you know, no one just flushed the toilet) and assuming you did not leave with the dishwasher or washing machine running, now would be a good time to check your water meter. If it is still running, it means you have a leak somewhere and that should be looked at by a plumber!